Monday, June 14, 2010

Almost Vegan Waffles

Despite my love for waffles, it had been months since I last enjoyed them, owing to a combination of my refusal to eat the boxed variety and my laziness when it came to making them from scratch. Simple but delectable-crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside, drizzled with maple syrup and topped with pat of butter-how can anyone not like them?. Although I grew up eating Eggo waffles out of the box, I have begun to shun most prepackaged and frozen food products. Even though I liked Eggo waffles, they just don't stand a chance against fresh, homemade waffles right off the iron. I had had a waffle iron sitting around unused for months, meaning to use it, but, as with many other things, I just never got around to it. But yesterday, my desire for waffles reached an all-time high, and I simply could not do without them any longer. Thus, I adapted this recipe for waffles at King Arthur which had good reviews. Indeed, they made a true treat-crisp on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside, just as waffles should be. I made a few changes to the recipe, though. It called for an egg, but since my dad prefers to avoid eggs, I substituted 1/4 cup of whipped tofu. I also added vanilla extract for flavor and baking soda to make the waffles fluffy. Finally, I substituted almond milk for the regular milk. I actually make this substitution quite frequently in sweets with great results. I just love the sweet, nutty flavor of almond milk. As a result of these changes, these waffles are nearly vegan, except for the ghee. However, if you wanted to make them totally vegan, you can certainly use oil.

Almost Vegan Waffles:
1.5 cups flour(I used King Arthur White Whole Wheat berries and ground my own flour)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar
2 cups almond milk
1/4 cup whipped tofu(use some of the above almond milk to whip it)
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup melted ghee
Whisk flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda together.


In another bowl, whisk together almond milk, whipped tofu and ghee.



Mix the wet and dry ingredients together, and stir until just combined.


Cook in a waffle iron as directed by the manufacturer. (Make sure to grease the iron before baking each batch of waffles!)
I savored these delicious waffled with just a dab of butter and a drizzle of maple syrup, which is all they really need, but of course you can get creative with the toppings! :)

5 comments:

Padhu said...

Waffles look tempting!! Do drop by
http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com
when u find time

Rachana Kothari said...

The Waffles look so beautiful. Adding almond milk is a lovely idea :-)

Asha said...

Our fave Saturday breakfast, looks delicious.

Swathi said...

Vegan waffles looks really good. I need to make it some time.

Sushma Mallya said...

looks lovely...they are my fav:)

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates