Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Classics with a Twist, Part 1: Hot Feta-Artichoke Dip with Roasted Red Peppers

My very good friend C. had come back into town after spending a semester abroad, and I had promised her the most scrumptious feast possible to celebrate her return :) I wanted to serve food that I knew everyone would enjoy, but I also wanted to prepare rather out-of-the-ordinary dishes. So after much deliberation, I settled upon the idea of classics with a twist. For our first course, I prepared this delectable hot feta and artichoke dip, a twist on the classic spinach-artichoke dip, along with the no-knead bread. As should be clear from the name, this dip was simply delightful, yet I prepared it in a breeze. I adapted this recipe from Allrecipes.com, which involved just mixing together the various components and baking them. I did add a couple of extra ingredients for flavor. Also, while the original recipe called for using entirely mayonnaise, I used half mayonnaise and half sour cream both to suit my tastes and to achieve a better consistency. I also used half mozzarella and half feta instead of all feta, because that's what I had on hand. These simple changes led to a starter course that had everyone raving. In fact, we all filled up on this course itself before I even served the second course, which will be the topic of my next post. So, stay tuned!

Hot Feta-Artichoke Dip:
1/2 cup cour cream(I used low-fat)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup shredded parmesean cheese
2 medium or 3 small roasted red peppers, chopped and seeded
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt (use sparingly because feta cheese is quite salty)

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix all the ingredients together in a shallow baking dish. Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the dip is bubbling hot. Serve with a good bread.



This dip is pure, cheesy goodness:) . It easily serves 7-8 people, so if you have leftover dip, it also tastes excellent with pasta or as a sandwich spread. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Swathi said...

Dip looks really rich and nice. I need some tortilla chips now.

Priya said...

Lipsmacking dip, i would like to have with some pita breads, fabulous!

G.Pavani said...

thank u ameya for visiting my blog,u too have a wonderful blog

Rachana said...

This looks lovely and flavourful!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates