Sunday, June 20, 2010

Gobhi-Paneer Curry

I first tasted this combination several years ago at the house of a family friend. It was love at first sight-a marriage between two of my favorite foods, cauliflower and paneer. I kept pressing my mom for years to get the recipe from her friend because I loved this curry so much. However, when that didn't happen, I finally decided that it would be fun trying to recreate this flavorful dish on my own, which is exactly what I did. It turned out so tasty; I especially love the touch fennel seeds lend to this curry. It was even a hit with guests from India. I will certainly be making this dish again and again.

Gobhi-Paneer Curry:
1/2 of a large onion, sliced
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1/4 tsp. fenugreek (methi) seeds
1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
2 cups paneer
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 heaping tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. cumin powder
2 tsp. coriander powder
1 bay leaf
cayenne pepper to taste
1 large tsp. salt, or to taste

Heat oil in a large skillet. When it is hot, add the fennel and fenugreek seeds. Let the fennel seeds just begin to brown, and then add the chopped onion. Cook on medium heat until transluscent. Add the cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, cayenne, bay leaf and salt, and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Add the cauliflower florets, and cover and cook on medium-low until the cauliflower is tender but still has a bite to it, about 10-12 minutes. Mix in the paneer cubes and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Discard the bay leaf, and turn off the heat. Serve with rotis or parathas. I served them with spinach parathas, for which I will post the recipe soon!

5 comments:

Priya said...

Wat a tempting curry, love both gobi and paneer as anything..yumm!

Rachana said...

Thats such a tempting curry! Waiting for the paratha recipe :-)

Swathi said...

I haven't tried this combination. Looks really nice. I need to try.

Sushma Mallya said...

i have tried this combo and your version too looks nice n delicious

Padhu said...

Nice combo!!Looks yummy!!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates