Sunday, June 13, 2010

Happy Birthday Mom: White Chocolate-Strawberry Cake

Anytime one of my friends or family members has a birthday coming up, I literally spend weeks agonizing over the endless possibilites of cakes I can bake for them. My mom's birthday last week was certainly no exception. Actually, I have been thinking about her cake since January, when the last birthday in our family was :) She adores any baked good with white chocolate, particularly white chocolate-macadamia nut cookies. So initially, I thought I would bake a white chocolate-madacamia nut cake for her. However, macadamia nuts were difficult to come by, so then I thought about a white chocolate-coconut cake. My mom and I both love coconut, and it tastes absolutely divine with white chocolate(or even regular chocolate for that matter). However, certain members of our family do not share our fondness for coconut, and I did want to make a cake that everyone would eat in order to keep me from eating the majority myself(which I ended up doing anyway :) ). But when I saw an unopened bottle of strawberry conserve in my fridge, it clicked immediately. White chocolate and strawberry equal a match made in heaven, and my whole family loves strawberries! And they loved this cake as well. I used Clotilde's Yogurt Cake recipe for the base, which is what I nomally use. I just made 1.5 times the original recipe to make 2, 9" layer cakes It is so moist and delicious, but not too sweet or rich, making it perfect to pair with a sweeter, cream-based frosting. I am also proud to say that my frosting recipe came out very successful. I really wanted to create my own frosting, even though I was a bit nervous about the proportions. Nonetheless, it came out perfectly-you could taste both the white chocolate and the strawberry flavors, and the addition of whipped cream made it lighter than traditional frostings made only from cream cheese.
This cake was without a doubt a hit, and it certainly provided a nice change to the standard chocolate or yellow birthday cake. Unofrunately, we had a power outage that night, which resulted in a bit of chaos, so the pictures of the final product didn't come out as well as I would have liked. But I think they'll still have you drooling for some:) Try this recipe out for a change next time someone you know and love has a birthday coming up. Or, if you're like me, just find any old excuse to bake this double-layer, white chocolate-strawberry cake and do it! :)

White Chocolate-Strawberry Cake
For the cake:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1.5 cups yogurt
3 eggs
1.5 cups sugar
3/4 tsp. baking soda
2 and 1/4 tsp. baking powder
6 oz. good quality white chocolate, finely chopped or grated
1/3 cup PLUS 1/2 of 1/3 cup oil or ghee
1.5 tsp. vanilla extract

White Chocolate-Strawberry Frosting*
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup whipped cream
1/2 cup melted white chocolate
2 heaping tablespoons seedless strawberry preserves
about 3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
*I originally made double the recipe, but I ended up using only half of it to frost the cake. Leftovers make a great crepe filling or waffle topping if you want to make the whole recipe though!

1/3 cup seedless strawberry preserves

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 2 9" round cake pans. Place sugar, eggs, yogurt and vanilla in a large bowl or stand mixer, and mix until blended.


Sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda in another bowl.

Add flour mixture into the yogurt mixture, and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.

Gently fold in the chopped white chocolate to evenly incorporate it into the batter, taking care not the overmix.

Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.

Bake the cakes for about 25-30 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Let them cool completely.

For the frosting:
Beat cream cheese in a bowl until fluffy. Then, mix in the melted white chocolate, strawberry preserves and vanilla until thoroughly incorporated. Continue beating and add the powdered sugar slowly, until the frosting reaches the desired consistency and sweetness. Gently fold in the whipped cream.

Invert one cooled cake layer on a plate, and turn it back over onto a cake stand or serving dish. Spead the strawberry preserves thickly on top of this cake layer.

Invert the other cake layer onto a plate, and then turn it back over on top of the first cake layer.

Frost the top and sides of the cake completely.


Chill in the refrigerator if not serving right away, but remove it half an hour before serving.

5 comments:

Priya said...

My birthday wishes to ur mom, beautiful cake looks super spongy and yummy..

Rachana Kothari said...

Birthday wishes to your mom! The Cake looks beautiful!

Swathi said...

Belated birthday dishes to your mom. The cake is moist and nice. The sliced piece looks really good.

Vaishali said...

The title made my mouth water. Looks great, Ameya. And happy birthday to your mom!

Asha said...

OMG! I love white chocolate more than regular chocolate and with Strawberries, this cake is scrumptious!:)

Happy birthday to your mom.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates