Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hummus Salad

Looking back through my posts, I realized that very few of them have featured vegetables. Don't think that I don't eat evegtables. In fact, as a vegetarian, I do eat a lot! But for some reason, I just haven't written about many of the vegetable-based dishes that I prepare. I love almost all vegetables, the two exceptions being bottlegourd and guvar(both commonly used in Indian cooking), and I really pride myself on the fact that my mom never had to coax or force me to eat my veggies while growing up :)
Today, I am going to share one of my all-time favorite salad recipes with you. Though very simple to toss together, the bounty of flavor and freshness will greatly appeal to your tastebuds, especially in the summer heat. What distinguishes this salad is that rather than the traditional oil/vinegar-based dressing, I used hummus as the dressing. Sounds strange, right? Yes, people typically eat hummus on sandwiches or crackers, or as a dip, but actually, it makes for an extremely tasty and healthy salad dressing, protein-rich, yet not at all heavy like many oil-based dressings. A good quality store-bought hummus works wonderfully, although you can certainly prepare your own. Try a flavored-hummus, such as spinach-artichoke or roasted red pepper, for a greater gusto.

Hummus Salad (Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a side):
3/4 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
1 tomato, chopped(save as much juice as possible)
1/2 cup black olives, drained and chopped
1 ripe avocado, diced
2 stalks of green onions, chopped
2 ounces feta cheese, cut into large chunks
2 tablespoons parmesean cheese
1/3 cup hummus(I used spinach-artichoke)
a bit of black pepper
salt if needed(the hummus will already have salt, so you probably will not need any more)


Toss all the ingredients together in a large bowl until all the vegetables are evenly coated with the hummus.

3 comments:

Priya said...

SUch an interesting and creamy salad...yummy.

Swathi said...

Humus salad looks really creamy and rich Ameya.

Cooking Blog Indexer said...

Very intersting..will try some day...

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates