Friday, July 2, 2010

Spanish Tortilla

This dish stirs some of my most memorable experiences during college thus far. I love to cook dinners with my friends on weekends, and I first tasted Spanish tortilla when my friend and I prepared this in her dorm as the main course for one of our dinners. Well, our first attempt was not exactly the best, as we found the tortilla very difficult to flip and ended up partially burning it! Nontheless, it tasted quite good, and I always have fun cooking with friends :) However, I was determined to successfully cook up a Spanish tortilla. Normally, I just whip up regular omelettes when I want to use up eggs, but today I thought why not give Spanish tortilla another go? I must say, I was very pleased with the result. Although it does not look as neat and presentable as it could, I was thrilled by the taste. It requires a bit more time than regular omelettes, and it proves even harder to flip without breaking! However, the end result will leave you wanting more :)

Spanish Tortilla (combined recipe from The Boston Globe and MyRecipes.com):
5 eggs
1 large onion, peeled and sliced into crescents
2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/8" thick
1 tsp. salt, divided
1.5 cups packed fresh spinach
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. roasted cumin powder(a little goes a long way)
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Heat olive oil in a large(10"-12") skillet. When hot, add the onions, and cook on medium heat until they become limp, about 5-6 minutes. Then, add the potatoes, stir, cover, and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Stir a couple of times in-between, and add 3/4 tsp. salt(or to taste) towards the end of the cooking time. While cooking, beat the eggs with remaining 1/4 tsp. salt(or to taste), black pepper and roasted cumin powder. When the potatoes are cooked, add the spinach, and cook just until it begins to wilt. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the potato mixture. Cook on medium-low heat until the bottom is set, but the top is still slightly runny (I cooked it for about 7-8 minutes). Run a spatula under the tortilla so that it does not stick to the skillet. Slide it onto a large plate. Carefully pick up the skillet by its side handles (it will be hot), and invert it over the plate. Then, invert the plate on top of the skillet so that the top side of the tortilla lands face down. Return to stove, and cook for another 5-6 minutes, or until the bottom side is set. Cut into wedges and serve.
I served the tortilla with homemade guacamole. Even though not a traditional combination, the fresh flavor of the guacamole paired perfectly with the warm, spiced tortilla. You can also serve the tortilla with toast, spicy mayonnaise, or anything else that strikes your fancy :)

5 comments:

Swathi said...

Ameya,

Spanish tortilla looks really good.

Anonymous said...

how do you eat all this delicious food and you're as thin as a stick?

Umm Mymoonah said...

Healthy and yummy tortillas, looks so good.

Priya said...

Slurppp!!irresistible tortillas..

Rachana said...

Delicious tortillas!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates