Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Avocado-Olive Salad

So unfortunately, I am currently without access to a kitchen and a working stove. I love eating out, really, especially at all the wonderful restaurants, cafes and patisseries that Paris has to offer. However, of course, I do love cooking for myself, and oftentimes, I just feel like having a nice, homemade meal. My current lack of a stove poses a challenge to me, however, so for the moment, I have taken to preparing a lot of salads whenever I want to prepare my own meal. Accompanied by a fresh baguette or sourdough tourte from a boulangerie and a bit of cheese from a fromagerie, perhaps followed by a dessert from a local patisserie, salads make for a light, refreshing meal. Given the high quality of produce one can find here in Paris, a variety of salads provides the best mainstay for me that I can prepare myself until I find a better housing arrangement with a working kitchen. The other day, I picked up a very ripe, ready to eat avocado from the farmer's market. I absolutely love avocado in any form, and so I decided to concoct a salad using avocado as the main ingredient. Nourishing and filling, a generous hunk of fresh baguette is all one really needs to accompany this salad. Enjoy!

Avocado-Olive Salad (Serves 2 as a starter or 1 as a main dish):
1 ripe haas avocado, flesh removed and cut into chunks
3 tbsp. ripe pitted black or Greek olives
1/4 tsp. dried herbs of your choice(I used herbes de provence)
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. good dijon mustard(use less if you don't want it as pungent)
1 tsp. lemon juice
few drops of hot sauce, as per your taste
1/4 tsp. black pepper
salt to taste(with the olives and mustard, you may not need any at all)

In a small bowl, mix together olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, herbs and black pepper. In a separate bowl, toss avocado chunks and olives together. Toss dressing with the avocado and olives. Taste, and add salt if needed.

7 comments:

Priya said...

Beautiful salad, i wont bother to have some..

Swathi said...

Nice delicious salad I love the ingredients in them.

whitney blane said...

that looks so delicious! Now i have to decide between this and an egg tahini salad recipe i found for lunch....so hard to choose!!

http://www.draxe.com/video/egg-tahini-salad-transform-your-kitchen-ep-23/

Aditi said...

Delicious way to get around your kitchen predicament!

Rachana said...

A delicious Salad.






Dr.Sameena Prathap
said...

Hi,

A great delicious salad...

Dr.Sameena@

www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

Sushma Mallya said...

i love avocado salad but never tried using olives in it...this one looks very healthy too...

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates