Sunday, September 12, 2010

Creperie au Lys

90 Rue St Louis en l'Ile
75004 Paris
01 46 33 56 13
Metro: Pont Marie


I know I haven't posted in quite a while now, but, as I'm sure you can imagine, my first week here in Paris has kept me incredibly busy! What, with orientation, settling into new housing and finding my way around a huge city, its proven to be such a whirlwind!! Yet, I am already thoroughly enjoying being in this marvelous city, and fortunately, I have already partaken of some of the sumptuous delicacies that she boasts. Of course, everyone who comes to Paris just has to eat crepes, right? Such a tourist thing, no? Well, touristy though it may be, when it comes to good food, nothing can stop me! Yes, I have already consumed numerous crepes since my arrival; in fact, the first thing I ate in Paris was (surprise, surprise!) a nutella crepe!
However, even though people tend to think of the sweet crepes, one would greatly miss out if he or she never sampled any of the savory varieties. Fillings for savory crepes range from vegetables to cheeses to eggs to meat. Yesterday, my friend Noodle Tzar, who is also studying abroad in Paris, and I trotted over to le Marais, a very historic section of Paris, for lunch and settled on a tiny, but charming venue called Au Lys Creperie. Perhaps not very well-known, but certainly worth a visit for those seeking delicious, good quality crepes in a less touristy locale. I savored the Galette Sarrasin Provencale, a buckwheat crepe filled with tomatoes, olives, gruyere cheese and creme fraiche. Now, what's not to like about such a melange of ingredients? Creamy and cheesy coupled with the nuttiness of the buckwheat crepe, I almost (I repeat, almost) prefer this to the sweet counterparts filled with nutella, banana and whipped cream. At any rate, I will be sure to sample as many varieties of savory crepes as possible during my year in Paris. And if you're in Paris and seeking out some delicious savory crepes for a nice lunch, give Creperie au Lys a try. Noodle Tzar really liked their Quiche Lorraine as well(albeit not vegetarian). The dark chocolate cake with creme anglaise unfortunately looked and sounded better than it actually tasted-it was on the dry side. But if you're in the mood for dessert, stroll over to Berthillon, Paris's most famous ice cream parlor and the subject of my next post, located on the same street as Creperie au Lys, and several cafes/retailers on the same street sell Berthillon's ice cream.

The Galette Provencale

Dark Chocolate Cake with Creme Anglaise

2 comments:

Priya said...

Seems u r enjoying french foods..have loads of fun..

Rachana said...

After reading your post I am craving for some crêpes... Am glad that you are having a good time in Paris.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates