Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Celebrating Togetherness: Strawberry-Almond Yogurt Cake

So, the day before yesterday, I surprised my family by coming home for the holidays, and boy, were they surprised!! I was quite relieved that I managed to keep it a surprise, given the fact that I had this trip planned for a month and a half. Of course, the fact that we were all together after so long coupled with the fact that I had not done any baking since leaving for Paris meant that I absolutely had to bake a cake to celebrate. I wanted to prepare something French, of course, but yet not incredibly complicated, so, as usual, I turned to Clotilde's Gateau au Yaourt, my usual go-to cake recipe. This recipe actually entails a fusion of both her basic yogurt cake and her raspberry-almond version. I actually don't care for raspberries in their whole form, but I was extremely lucky to find exceptionally fresh, ripe strawberries(my favorite fruit!), even at the end of December! Thus, I substituted strawberries for the raspberries, and substituted part almond meal for the all-purpose flour as the raspberry version called for. Besides that, I mostly stuck to the basic recipe, besides using ghee in place of oil. I also made my own very slight change by melting some strawberry jam and pouring it over the strawberries before topping them with the second half of the batter. This resulted in a consistency similar to pie filling after the cake came out of the oven, yet the cake had the perfect level of sweetness. The cake itself was of course extremely moist on the inside, but boasted a crusty golden-brown top which I very much enjoyed in contrast. We relished this cake with masala chai, which made for the perfect afternoon goƻter (French for snack), and yes, we finished the entire cake! :)

Strawberry-Almond Yogurt Cake (adapted from Yogurt Cake and Raspberry Yogurt Cake) :
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup almond meal
2 eggs
1 cup whole-milk, plain unsweetened yogurt
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil or ghee(I used ghee)
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1.5 cups washed and sliced strawberries
1/2 cup strawberry jam
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
a good pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350F, and grease a 10-inch round cake pan. Combine yogurt, sugar, eggs, , ghee and vanilla and almond extracts in a large mixing-bowl. Sift together the flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in another bowl. Gradually add the flour mixture into the wet mixture, but don't overmix the dough. Melt jam over low heat until it becomes thin and slightly runny. Pour half of the cake batter into the cake pan. Arrange the sliced strawberries on top. Pour jam over the strawberries, and use a pastry brush to evenly spread it if needed. Pour the other half of the batter on top, and use a spatula to spread it evenly over the strawberry layer. Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes, or until a tester toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake sit for about 30 minutes before serving.



3 comments:

savitha ramesh said...

awsome flavored yogurt cake dear.keep it up

Swathi said...

Ameya, Yougrut strawberry cake looks awesome. I will try this during summer, as strawberries cause around 5 dollars for a box now.

Priya said...

ENjoy ur stay Ameya, btw cake looks extremely irresistible..Wishing u a beautiful and happy new year dear..

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates