Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mung Dal-Fry for One!

After several days of eating out, I just wanted a simple, light but tasty homemade meal. Mung dal was absolutely perfect. Light and easy to digest, it can be a simple one-dish meal with some vegetables tossed in. I normally add onion, but I didn't have any on hand today; even then, the dal-fry was still so delightful. I had leftover cooked carrots and leeks already in my fridge, so no chopping and no grinding involved! And for once, I managed to make just the right amount of food for only myself without any leftovers. I finished cooking in under ten minutes, and enjoyed the dal-fry with a slice of multigrain bread spread with Jean-Yves Bordier butter, claimed by many to be the best butter in Paris. And I have to say, thus far, I quite agree :)


1/4 cup mung dal, washed and pressure-cooked
1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
2/3 tsp coriander powder
pinch of asafoetida(hing)
1/4 tsp. red chilli powder, or to taste
1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/2 cup chopped cooked vegetables, or a mix of(I used carrots and leeks)
1/2 cup water, or as needed

Heat oil in a small pan on high heat. Add the mustard seeds. When they begin to splutter, lower the heat and add cumin seeds. When they begin to brown, add hing. Then, add chopped garlic. When it is no longer raw, but before it is brown, add the chopped cooked vegetables and mung dal. Cook for one minute, then add coriander powder, red chilli powder and salt, along with water. Let cook until the dal-fry reaches the desired consistency. Serve warm.

6 comments:

Swathi said...

Easy and tasty fry Ameya good rice or chapathi

Priya said...

Such a delicious fry Ameya,full of proteins..

Authenticoriyafood said...

Quick and healthy!! My first visit here....You have an interesting blog !

Padhu said...

Such a healthy and simple dish
Padhuskitchen

Rachana said...

Such a healthy and delicious dal fry.

kitchen queen said...

Hi u have a nice blog.You can visit my blog and give ur valuable comments.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates