Friday, February 24, 2012

Improv' Green and Cheese Hash

Finally, after another gap of a few months, I feel like I have some sense of normalcy back in my life. I cannot even begin to describe how busy school has kept me the last few months. Thankfully, I am taking some time for myself (and for you all, of course), to get my blog back on track. Last week, I was lucky to have friends come visit me for that infamous New Orleans festival Mardi Gras. It was the first time I had guests in town for MG, but because of my friends, it was hands down the best I'd ever had.
Needless to say, over a span of five days, we tired pretty fast of eating out, though we sampled and thoroughly enjoyed some excellent NOLA food. And after several days of parading and other festivities, we were too tired to even go grocery shopping. So, lo and behold this Improv' Green and Cheese Hash-quite healthy, with vegetables (and avocado) as the main ingredient, with a little bit of cheese for protein, this is a simple and savory meal perfect for a weeknight or for anytime you want something quick to use up what you've got on hand, served up with a slice of buttered toast. Actually, we completely improvised this one with what I had in my fridge, but I was surprised at how well it turned out. Of course, feel free to improv' to suit whatever you've got on hand :)

Green and Cheese hash (Serves 2-3)

1/2 a small white onion, finely chopped
1 small zucchini, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium avocado, ripe, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed, and chopped into one-inch pieces
1 large clove garlic
1 tsp. each dry basil and thyme
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste, depending on heat preference)
3 tbsp. heavy cream*
1/2 cup shredded cheese, such as emmental or swiss (I used raw emmental)
2 tbsp. olive oil

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a nonstick pan, add onion, and cook until transluscent. Add asparagus, cover, and cook until tender, about 7-8 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes. Add zucchini along with herbs (crush herbs with palms of your hands), cover, and cook for one minute until zucchini is tender crisp. Then, add diced avocado, red pepper, cream and shredded cheese, stir together, and let cook just until cheese is melted. Top with a little extra shredded cheese if desired. Serve immediately with bread :)



*While we loved the richness the cream added, next time I will try using vegetable stock for even more flavor. Let me know if you try this!

2 comments:

evolvingtastes said...

I had read your blog before and thought you lived in Paris. How about writing about the veggie friendly restaurants in New Orleans?

Rachana said...

Dear Ameya

How are you doing? This hash looks lovely.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates