Saturday, March 30, 2013

Tiramisu Cheesecake: Need I Say More?

To all of my dear followers,
   I am back after yet another long hiatus (oh, the woes of graduate school)! However, what better way to mark my return than with this positively exquisite delight, otherwise known as "Tiramisu Cheesecake"? Well now, the name is pretty self-explanatory, and it should indeed be enough to stop you from working and make you immediately rush over to the grocery store so that it can soon be yours!
   But yes, it represents a fusion of two of the most heavenly desserts known to mankind to this very day: cheesecake and tiramisu. Of course, if you have followed The Spice Savant for any length of time, you should know by now that cheesecake ranks not only as my favorite dessert, but also as my number one speciality. Since it is without a doubt the dessert I prepare the most often, I am constantly looking for and experimenting with new variations, from fruit-based to chocolate to caramel to the delight I present you today. Essentially, this recipe combines a creamy, just perfectly sweet cheesecake with the coffee flavor of tiramisu-both Kalhua and instant espresso powder!
Just think for a few seconds, what could be make you swoon more?:)

In fact, I had baked mini-tiramisu cheesecakes last year for an exchange program reunion I was hosting, and they came out so perfectly that I cannot believe I waited nearly one year before giving them yet another go. Nevertheless, the idea of making one entire cheesecake quite naturally popped into my head when I was deliberating which dessert (which of course had to be a cheesecake) to end last Friday's dinner with, when I was to dine with U, L, D, B and K.
That decision engendered unanimous approval :)
Now go on, what are you waiting for? Try it out yourself. I guarantee you nothing but the utmost perfection and bliss.
A true coffee-lover's delight!

Tiramisu Cheesecake (adapted from Allrecipes.com)
250 g shortbread cookies
2 tbsp, white sugar
3 tbsp. Kalhua
4 tbsp. melted butter

4 8 oz. packages cream cheese
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup white sugar
6 tbsp. Kalhua
1 tsp. instant espresso powder
4 eggs
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350F. Boil enough water to fill a roasting pan in the meantime.

Grind the shortbread cookies to fine crumbs in a food processor. Add the melted butter and sugar, then the Kalhua. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Bake for about 7-8 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove, and let the crust cool completely. Lower the oven temperature to 325F.

In a stand mixer or food processor, mix the cream cheese, heavy cream and sugar on medium-high speed until they are very smooth. Add the coffee liqueur two tablespoons at a time and mix on medium-low speed. Add the eggs one at a time, and mix on low speed until just combined. Repeat with the flour, one tablespoon at a time. Do not overmix at any point!

Pour the batter over the crust. Place a roasting pan on the bottom rack of the oven, and pour boiling water into it. Place the springform pan on the middle rack, and let the cheesecake bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the center is only slightly jiggly. Turn off the oven, and let the cheesecake rest inside for about 20-30 minutes with the door ajar. Then, remove the cheesecake and let it cool completely.

Refrigerate the cheesecake overnight. One hour before serving, prepare the ganache as follows, spread over the top of the cheesecake, and then refrigerate the cheesecake until ready to serve.

3 comments:

Ujwala Bhat said...

Folks, I was there to try it in person and I loved it!! :)

Priya Suresh said...

Wow this tiramisu cheesecake looks absolutely divine.

chrisbgrsk said...

I'm planning to marry one as it was that good!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates